Sunday, May 17, 2015

March RECAP

Okay...now for the March RECAP via FB (aka my mini-journal).


How good are your eyes? Can you spot the large lounging species in his natural habitat hanging out on the top of the landing? He does this to protect his young from approaching the dangerous dropoff otherwise known as the stairs. This animal will sometimes stay this way for long lengths of time while his young crawls from room to room destroying and slobbering all over anything in his path - all the while he watches youtube videos on his phone and gets a nice relaxing stretch.


March 2 ·
Ok, this is the 2nd time in a month I have done something to my shoulder and I have no idea what I did or what is going on. Anyone medical minded....can I pick your brain? My left shoulder is fine if my arm is relaxed. But if I try to lift it overhead, or across the front of my body (like if I were to touch the other arm) it KILLS me. I also can't lift it straight out (like a straight arm dumbbell lift).
The last time this happened it was sore for about 4 days but then got better. I didn't fall or hurt myself, it's almost like maybe I just slept on it wrong or moved it wrong and it tweaked it and now it's seriously killing me. I could barely get dressed this morning. Should I ice it?

March 3 · Edited ·
If the words that come out of our mouths define us, and say a lot about us as a person. Well, then here are all of the words that have left my mouth in the last 5 minutes:
"No no no no!! Riley nooooooo yucky!! Who left the toilet seat up??"
"Ugh no, no no! No touching your poopy bum before mommy has had a chance to wipe it!"
"Riley NO! Don't touch that button on mommy's computer!"
"Has anyone seen my phone?...Where did I put it...?"

"It has protein!" I said. "I'll just occasionally put it on an apple!" I said. Yeah right. 500+ calories later...Who was I kidding. This is me enjoying my last spoonful because I asked my husband to hide it from me. He was happy to do so. LOL #icannotbetrustedwithnutella#crackinajar



BEFORE haircut. I tried to hold off on#babysfirsthaircut, but too many strangers telling us what adorable little girl we have.





Whew, talk about overposting tonight. Last one I promise. Just lots of milestones today in this house! This little one was overjoyed to get to "go to school" (even though it was just K registration). I think he had his backpack on for like 2 hours before was time to go, and he felt so special! We are going by Fall he will be ready, he is going to be a very young kinder (Aug bday).



As Will is preparing to assemble the boys' new bunkbeds today, I found this note in our room this morning from Preston. I then went to find him very teary-eyed in his room. It's hard to say goodbye sometimes.


March 5 ·
This morning has been one of those mornings where a lot of little things have been bugging me and I'm trying with all of my might to rise above it and stay positive, but sometimes it's hard. It's part of putting yourself out there as an artist...one must grow a thick skin and roll with the punches. But sometimes I don't think my skin is so thick but I have to pretend like it is. Sigh.
 — feeling blah.
Like · Comment · 


#bunkbeds Only took me 4 hours to assemble. Crazy that we bought another matching bunk bed for the future. #houseofboys


March 6 ·
I don't know if I am insane or what, but I just agreed (officially) to do a concert in Texas on Dec 13th, and then fly back to Seattle and do a concert here on the 14th/15th. This also means dress rehearsals on the 11th (in Seattle), and on the 12th (in Texas), and also the 14th (In Seattle). So grateful to have my husband be my partner-in-crime in my music - he encouraged me to do it so I said YES. But I may just need a day at the spa after it's all over.

March 6 · 

.39GB of 45.13GB downloaded 😲 and it's been an hour. Ummmmm....I'm guessing I won't be trying out this new piano software until next week. Or year.


March 7 · Edited · 

First time on a slide and lots of smiles!



Sometimes I wonder why I even bother cleaning when I know this guy can undo what I do in record time. He's been mobile for about 4 weeks now and it's been a whirlwind. For reals. Missing something? Be sure to check garbage cans and drawers. He likes to drop things into stuff.



This time change is killing me, mom. Actually the bowtie is killin' him.


March 8 · Edited ·
I had a WONDERFUL time attending my friend Jonathan concert at Benaroya Hall in Seattle. This talented guy has SUCH a great voice, he just brought down the house. Please do yourself a favor and check out his music and support a really fabulous singer. You will even find your's truly as a guest artist on his album! ‪#‎thesemiles‬






Just another day in the sticks smile emoticon My 4 year having a deep conversation with a deer by our front door (who is eating all my irises btw!!).


March 9 ·
I was just invited to come perform in Budapest. I didn't know people listened to my music there?
 — feeling grateful.


March 10 · Edited · 
That look. Those eyes. I am his favorite person right now. Last night I went to a friend's house for a girls night to watch The Bachelor finale, and Will told me that he watched me walk out the front door, get in the car, and as soon as my car left the driveway he screamed a total "I'm freaking out because my mom just left me" scream. I feel so loved. A bit smothered, but extremely loved. smile emoticon
P.S. He turns 1 next Monday. Eeek.



This morning Will was trying to give me directions to the nearest UPS pickup location in our tiny town. I was getting frustrated because he was giving me MAN DIRECTIONS. I needed to know exactly what store it was, but he would say "It's the craft store". I didn't realize we even had a craft store. Or "It's on the main street", but which one? Our town has two. "It's close to where everything else is." LOL...or worse "It's on the south side of the road"...I have no clue which way is South.
So I was getting frustrated, and so was he (for not understanding his directions) and we finally decided hugging needed to happen. While embraced, both Riley and Taylor were staring at us. I whispered "Careful...little eyes are watching us." And I said in a silly voice - "The best gift any father can give his children is to love their mother..."
At which moment Taylor (4 yrs old) precisely interrupts, lets out a big sigh and says "WILL YOU TWO PLEASE STOP HUGGING?!!!!!". Hahahahahaha.

4 year old logic on living long and healthy...
Preston (6 yrs old): "And What if I live to 200?"
Me: "Well, usually people only live to no more than 100."
Taylor (4 yrs old): "Yeah, and Pwetchen, you need to eat yo healthy food if you want to live to 200! Like bananas. Bananas are healthy, and they are yellow, so like mac 'n cheese is yellow too and so u can eat healthy mac n' cheese so you can not die!!"


After a bad tumble down the stairs earlier today, this guy had been pretty mellow. Just glad he's ok though! And how fun that our Thomas cousins from Arizona came to play with us today! @karlyannthoma


March 13 · Edited · 

This was me exactly 1 year ago...2 days before giving birth to Riley. This was my last doctor appointment, and was getting very very excited for the days to follow.

I was at the gym this morning feeling good and proud that I have been so dedicated with my workouts lately, but also still so not completely happy with the reflection I see in the mirror - afterall I still have 35 pounds to lose to get back to where I was before I got pregnant (I've lost 40 since he was born). But as I looked at the incline/resistant levels on the machines I was doing and also amazed at the strength of my body...I remembered back to one year ago when I would get winded just walking to the bathroom haha. I remember how excited I was for my little baby boy to come and to not be pregnant anymore - because let's face it, I was having a hard time. Pretty much everything hurt. So today I am grateful for my body. It is strong. It is capable. It has been through a LOT. I have scars, I have tiger stripes, and more. But it has carried me through it all, and it's also carried 3 babies inside.

That's all. smile emoticon


March 13 · 

Excited to be working with Tel Stewart Productions on my next music video - which will be filmed at the beautiful Bastyr Chapel on the Bastyr University Campus. Many film scores and videos have been done there. We are also recording the Ensign Symphony & Chorus there as well! So excited for May, but LOTS of preparation still....I need to duplicate myself X 10.



Girls night!!!! Complete with princess crowns.#cinderella #openingnight Two girls nights in one week#lovemyhubby I'm in leggings and all ready for the royal treatment



Just so you all know, we had a pact that we would both wear PAJAMAS and TIARAS tonight to Cinderella. SOMEBODY *eh hem, cough cough* didn't keep that deal and showed up all cute in jeans and boots. Thankfully I'm ok with being seen in my leggings and oversized hoodie with my crown. smile emoticon Oh, and how cute were all the little girls who came in glass slippers and tiaras? Erika and I are both moms of all boys, so a totally 100% girly night was needed!
 



While I was busy sweating the cheesecake off that I ate last night, Riley was busy in the gym daycare getting his whole self into the toy drawer and chucking toys out lol.



Leaving to go support a friend in her piano concerto debut #Tchaikovsky #CWU #cutebaby with her university symphony, and having a hard time drying farewell to my goodbye party at the window.



Go Leah! Proud of you girl! You nailed that Tchaikovsky even through an annoying cell phone that went off (seriously people) That is a true performer! And you looked gorgeous.


Pet peeve: Men who shake my hand like a wet noodle, and men who shake my hand so hard I literally feel like my bones may have just broke. An in-betweener would be ideal please.

March 15 · 

Tomorrow Riley turns 1 year old. The last year has flown by, and I'm having a hard time grasping that my baby has already been here for an entire year. You all will have to forgive me the next 24 - 36 hours as I turn into a ball of mushy goo.

So I'm reflecting back a bit tonight, and found this picture that I posted exactly a year ago the night before I went into the hospital to have Riley. And the caption said:

"Dear Baby,

Tomorrow is your last day in my belly, and then you will be introduced to the world early Sunday morning. You have two older brothers who are so excited to meet you. You have a great dad who longs for you. And I think your mom is pretty cool too. Now if you can stay put tomorrow while I get a pedicure so my toes look awesome in the hospital that would be great. And let's be thinking about our last meal together while we're at it- before you're on a milk-only diet and I'm bound to ice chips post surgery.

Here's to our last day being connected by an umbilical. Can't wait to see your squishy face.

Love,
Mommy"



March 16 · 

Did you say it's my birthday today??
#1yearold #morninghair #sleepy

March 16 · Edited · 

Some of his birthday plans include summitting the stairs while holding Dad's water bottle AND putting the sharpie inside. Well someone's got to do it.#firstbirthday #bigplanstoday


March 16 ·
About 1 year ago...I am still so in love with this little one.


March 31, 2014 · Edited · 

36 weeks pregnant with Riley, and Riley at 2 weeks old (a lot happens in 6 weeks!)
 — with Will Thomas.


March 17 near North Bend, WA · 

Gas stop and then on to Camano Island to celebrate Riley's birthday with Grandma and grandpa today (plus family portraits by @ron southworth photography)


March 17 ·
We had fun on Camano Island today celebrating Riley's 1st birthday with Grandma and Grandpa. Lots of pics to come, including family portraits and cake. But for now, here are these. smile emoticon Goodnight!





Man oh man....here I am sweating off birthday cupcakes from yesterday and all I have to say it's it wasn't worth it. I feel so sluggish today. Greens, fruit, protein, and LOTS of water for the rest of the day for this girl. Trying to lose the rest of my pregnancy weight but sometimes I wonder if I just train so hard at the gym so I can eat lol. #whydoidothistomyself


March 18 · 
We celebrated Riley's first birthday with Grandma and Grandpa on the 17th (though his bday was the 16th).
My friend Erika Pehrson Nisbet made these AMAZING cupcakes for his birthday and he was so not interested! LOL You'll have to check out the photos...
My dad also took family portraits and Riley's first birthday pics (a tradition for the boys' first birthdays)

(more pics in April blog post about Riley's birthday)





March 18 · 

All 3 of our boys at their first birthday pictures! They look so much alike.


March 18 near Riverbend, WA · 

My nightly routine...snuggling this little one until he konks out.


March 19 · Edited · 

I feel like we've turned a corner with our little Taylor (4 yrs old) lately. He definitely has been our most, uh, challenging child to raise so far.

He is definitely his own person. But I feel like the more we respect him for who he is, the more he blossoms. It hasn't been easy though. But this little boy now gets dressed on his own every morning without me having to ask him 20,000 times. He now wipes his own bum (a huge feat in itself). He is more obedient and is my biggest helper. He is so funny and is always cracking jokes and making us laugh. He is very smart and very organized, and surprisingly very clean. He's been going to his primary class better lately. He always opens doors for me, and gives me hugs and wants to be around me too (which makes me feel nice of course) smile emoticon

Tantrums have been less. I can't even remember the last time I've had to punish him or give him a full-on time out. I'm just so proud of who he is becoming. I love you Taylor bug!

March 20 · 

Excuse our messy room (laundry day)....and I'm nervous to post this, but had to if it helps motivate anyone else out there. I am wearing a workout tank this morning that I haven't worn since the photo on the left (at 11 weeks post-baby) because I remember how horrible I felt about myself in it. It felt great to put it on this morning and feel how loose it had become for me. There is about a 22 pound difference between these two photos but a LOT of muscle vs. fat exchange.

I'm glad I've taken photos along the way because if I only relied on the scale I would constantly be discouraged. It's nice to SEE the progress. 40 pounds down, another 30 to go to get to pre-pregnancy weight.



I was asked at last minute to perform "Homeward Bound" for the funeral of a lovely elderly gentleman today. Searched and found this version just in time, Thank you @williamjoseph for your version, it was perfect.


This morning Preston (6) and Taylor (4) were being total boys and just rough-housing a bit too much. Several times I had to break them up full-on punching each other (mostly big brother beating up little brother). Seriously, frustrating. So after breaking up their physical-fights about 4 times, I finally told them that they had to stand there hugging each other for a full 2 minutes.
Well they instantly broke out giggling and thought that was funny. That is until they couldn't keep their balance and fell over and Taylor wacked his head right into the corner of the wall heater - at which time weeping and wailing started all over again.
Then I sent them outside with rainboots and coats to run off their energy - and it eventually turned into a brawl as well.
Sigh. Seriously do moms of girls deal with this?

I just want to give a shout-out to my loving husband, Will Thomas, who has been an amazing super dad as I put in the equivalent of a full working week in the last 3 days to work on finishing composing the songs on my album that have choir going on them (I need to have all choir songs in sheet music form in 3 weeks from now). We live week to week around here, and this week was a busy music week for me. I really couldn't be doing this without his amazing support, and I just want him to know it is appreciated and very much valued. smile emoticon 💕💋 ‪#‎teamthomas‬

I am declaring a R&R/Pampering day for myself. I am skipping the gym. I am wearing my pajamas today. I am at some point going to take a bubble bath with aroma therapy salts. I will probably also at some point eat chocolate. I'm going to hang out with my family whom I miss and haven't had a full day with in weeks. And I'm going to say no to anyone and anything that asks me to do anything today.
With that being said though, we also have a 12 month old who is absolutely destroying the house, who throws his food on the floor, has disassembled my sheet music book shelf, had a hay day with my laundry pile, and just ate soap. So when I say "R&R", I mean that slightly figuratively.


Happy boys! Despite my anal interior decorating schemes, I actually ended up letting them pick out their own bedding sets as long as they stuck to the bedroom color scheme of red, white, and blue lol. Firetrucks and trains it is and boy are they excited. We are also excited to have finally gotten rid of their old ghetto beds and dressers and gotten these new espresso wood colored sets.


March 24 · 

Sometimes this is how I end up gettin' 'er done. Music, that is. This little one won't take good naps lately unless mom is right near, and Will threw his back out so he is an invalid today thus SuperDad is off duty.#transcribingmusic #finale #multitasking


March 25 · Edited · 

10 Years!

March 25, 2005 - March 25, 2015
 



March 25 · Edited ·
Ok excuse me for a minute while I be all mushy, but today is Will and I's 10th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY and that is a big deal. smile emoticon I remember when my older brother and his wife had their 10th and thinking "Whoa. That is a LONG time." LOL Haha...
Here is why I fell in love with Will Thomas: We met online when it wasn't even cool yet. We emailed for a month and then he drove up to Seattle from Portland and took me on our first date - which was an all day excursion hiking, picnic, ferry ride, talking, and laughing. At the time, I still had an on-again-off-again relationship with a guy I had dated for 2 years and Will was my friend that I could talk to, confide in, and more. Will was ever so patient with me. We went on friendly dates, but he never pressured me, never pushed me...only was one of the most kind, uplifting, amazing friend to me. He was a total LIGHT in my life.
A couple of months later after my other relationship ended for good, I was on a New Years Eve date with Will. We went skiing together. He made me laugh so much! I felt like life was the best ever. I yearned to be around him. I felt so different around him compared to other guys I had dated. I felt like the BEST version of myself when I was with him, and I felt like the most beautiful woman when I was with him.
Bottom line: Will made me feel loved and like life was beautiful. Like I was beautiful and deserved the best most sincerely beautiful love that a woman could ever deserve. And all of a sudden, this "friend" turned into someone I knew I was in love with. 6 months later, he proposed to me on a beach in Hawaii....4 months later an "official" proposal with a ring.....6 months after that we were married in the Portland Mormon LDS Temple in front of our close family and friends.
10 years and 3 kids later....I am still SO much in love with this man. He is a gentle spirit. A lover, never a fighter (unless it's for his family). He has loved me through so much. I admire him SO much. I truly am such a lucky girl. I can't wait to spend the rest of eternity with him. I love you William Edgar Thomas
Ok excuse me for a minute while I be all mushy, but today is Will and I's 10th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY and that is a big deal. smile emoticon I remember when my older brother and his wife had their 10th and thinking "Whoa. That is a LONG time." LOL Haha...
Here is why I fell in love with Will Thomas: We met online when it wasn't even cool yet. We emailed for a month and then he drove up to Seattle from Portland and took me on our first date - which was an all day excursion hiking, picnic, ferry ride, talking, and laughing. At the time, I still had an on-again-off-again relationship with a guy I had dated for 2 years and Will was my friend that I could talk to, confide in, and more. Will was ever so patient with me. We went on friendly dates, but he never pressured me, never pushed me...only was one of the most kind, uplifting, amazing friend to me. He was a total LIGHT in my life.
A couple of months later after my other relationship ended for good, I was on a New Years Eve date with Will. We went skiing together. He made me laugh so much! I felt like life was the best ever. I yearned to be around him. I felt so different around him compared to other guys I had dated. I felt like the BEST version of myself when I was with him, and I felt like the most beautiful woman when I was with him.
Bottom line: Will made me feel loved and like life was beautiful. Like I was beautiful and deserved the best most sincerely beautiful love that a woman could ever deserve. And all of a sudden, this "friend" turned into someone I knew I was in love with. 6 months later, he proposed to me on a beach in Hawaii....4 months later an "official" proposal with a ring.....6 months after that we were married in the Portland Mormon LDS Temple in front of our close family and friends.
10 years and 3 kids later....I am still SO much in love with this man. He is a gentle spirit. A lover, never a fighter (unless it's for his family). He has loved me through so much. I admire him SO much. I truly am such a lucky girl. I can't wait to spend the rest of eternity with him. I love you Will.







March 25 · Instagram ·
Yes. I ate mostly this for lunch today. Because Will gave it to me for an anniversary present this morning, and because he is much wiser nowdays as to not give me cheap Russels chocolate anymore ‪#‎heknowsmewell‬, and because I worked out this morning. Oh, and because I can


March 25 · 

Our moms....on our wedding day.



TBT - My daughter Jenni and I when she was about 5 yrs old. She never liked those dresses for some reason. Frankly, I was rather proud of the fact that I was able to sew them


March 26 · Edited · 

Thursday Throwback - This is a shot I've never shared before from this 2006 photo shoot. It was on the beach near Seattle, as we tried to capture a cover shot for my debut album "Key of Sea". I have fond memories from this time though - I was releasing my music for the VERY first time. I had absolutely no expectations. I knew absolutely very little about the music industry, or even how to promote myself. I think I was on MySpace? I submitted the album to Pandora and it was accepted - little did I know it would become so popular. I did several small concerts for the album, met so many wonderful artists whom I now call dear friends. My music now receives about a quarter-million Pandora spins EVERY single day. I am performing at Benaroya Hall this year with full symphony and choir. My music now supports our family! So much to be grateful for.

This photo sort of represents a time in my life when things were very simple. Even though I'm so grateful for where my music is today - not to mention 3 babies later! However, I do miss everything about this photo and what it represents in that time of my life.#TBT

Photo by Jen Nance



March 26 near Riverbend, WA · 

Anyone want to volunteer to clean this guy up? Because I kinda don't want to even touch him haha.



Celebrating 10 years by going on our first child-free overnighter in over a year and a half! We deserve this time alone, and the boys will have fun with Grandma and grandpa. Here's to hoping our baby goes to sleep tonight without mama boobies. LOL Did I just say that? Yes I did.



Already enjoying PB&J sandwiches at Grandma' house. Goodbye offspring! We shall see you tomorrow after mommy and daddy have had an amazing night themselves in a rustic mountain cabin. #10yearanniversary



Will gave me a surprise anniversary gift last night at the romantic cabin he took me to. I knew he was having my wedding ring re-rodium plated, but what I doesn't know was that he had an anniversary band custom made to match with 10 diamonds for 10 years. I am still smiling, because for every sparkle there is an "I love you". How did I get so lucky? He is a man of few words, but his thoughts and actions and the way he treats me speaks larger than the world to me. Now if I can just lose a little more of my pregnancy weight so it will fit me again... I love my husband.
#10Years #3karats #loveforeternity



Yep. He definitely loves me a LOT.









This morning, while at the mountain cabin with our boys I was cooking bacon for breakfast. I gave Preston a piece to munch on while he was waiting. He came back a moment later and in a matter-of-fact sort of voice told me, "Mama, you can just make me up a plate of bacon okay." LOL Ummmmmmm....hahaha. ‪#‎baconbaconbaconbacon‬ ‪#‎nomnomnom‬‪#‎crazykid‬






Sorry, I am a post-workout mess...but had to share. I am on my computer trying to reply to some emails and Taylor (4 yrs old) asked if he could sit in my lap. Apparently I am super boring because....look what happened. Zzzzz...



So Riley's thing lately is making a total complete mess of his food (including in the hair, down the shirt), hardly eating any of it, and JUST when I clean him up and start to take his tray away, he lunges for it as if to make one last attempt to scrounge any food off of it that he can (as if he is all of a sudden now interested in it), and looks at me for a reaction with a smirk on his face. It's hilarious because for only being 12 months old, I can clearly see he has a sense of humor.


March 31 · 

All 3 of our little redheads at 12 months old...so fun. 


And that's a rap for March! :)

No comments: